Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Florida Trip part 4

The next day we spent hanging out at the marina watching the manatees and going on some short hikes. We cut our camping trip short because some rednecks moved in and decided that the whole campground should be forced to listen to blaring country music late into the night and the campground hosts were useless. As we packed up and drove out we did have the enjoyment of seeing the vultures tearing up their campsite. Karma..... (and also leaving food out, idiots)

We headed to the Keys and tried to catch a glimpse of the famous blue-green water and white sand beaches but most beaches had resorts built on them and you couldn't get anywhere near them. We decided to go to a state park and took a glass bottom boat ride as it was too cold to snorkel (60, brrr...). All I can say is meh, the reefs were interesting but we definitely need to go back and snorkel to really appreciate the reefs. I didn't sea sick but I took meds, used sea bands and chewed ginger gum like it was going out of style. That night we went to a restaurant on Key Largo and had fresh seafood. It was pretty good. We sat at the bar and the bartender kept giving me free drinks. I know it wasn't because I was a hot young thing in a bikini (I was fully dressed, you're welcome) plus my giant husband was sitting right next to me. The only thing I can think of is that I was nice and mentioned how hard he was working.

The next day in the Keys was much better. We went to the sea turtle hospital where they rescue and rehabilitate injured sea turtles. It was one of the coolest places on the trip.
Sick Loggerhead Turtle getting an IV 

Beautiful Green Turtle

Baby!!!

We didn't make it to Key West because we spent so much time at the turtle hospital but from what I heard it wasn't a huge loss. The Keys were very commercial and overbuilt. The next day we drove  back to Orlando and caught our flight. Overall it was a great trip, one of the best I've had in awhile. The best part was these 2 guys wearing the astronaut costumes we bought at the Space Center. 

My cute nephews

  

No comments:

Post a Comment